Thursday, November 26, 2015
But seriously, these are the things that I am thankful for every day, I just don't always say it. I probably should, because the act of speaking things you are grateful for only further heightens your gratitude. But today, on the holiday that more than any other is dedicated to recalling blessings and recognizing the graciousness of the Lord in our lives.
So today I am thankful for:
1. Jesus. He is the only thing that makes thankfulness a possibility.
2. His free gift of salvation. The only reason for living.
3. My mom. Especially glad she made dinner today, but always thankful for her love and wisdom.
4. My dad. He instilled a good work ethic in me by modeling it himself. He has always loved us and wanted the Lord's best in our lives.
5. My sister, Robyn. Maybe someday I will be awesome like you, but for right now let us just remember that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
6. My brother, Clark. Your endless perseverance always inspires me.
7. My sister, Katy. You aren't afraid to be your own person and that rubs off on me in a good way. And you crack me up.
8. My sister, Lisa Dawn. You exude a cheerful confidence, and are a wonderful homemaker.
9. My sister, Kelly. I am so glad that I've gotten to know you better since moving here. I really like you, and you have been my go-to for so many things.
10. My brother, Luke. You are really a fantastic guy. And that isn't something I say about many teenage boys. You are godly, and kind. And you babysit...
11. My brother, Mark. You are such a good friend to my kids, and never treat Carson like a baby. He loves you so much!
12. Grace. I practice self-loathing far more often than I should. Humility is necessary for a believer, but I don't think the Lord intends for us to constantly dislike how He made us. I am thankful for grace that allows me to continue to grow and mature out of bad habits without belittling us.
13. Second chances. And third, and fourth....you get what I am saying. Since we haven't invented time travel yet, I am thankful that the Lord allows us to keep trying.
14. Hope. This has been my word for this year, not intentionally, but rather just in how life has played out. It is truly the anchor for my soul, and it is not a "wish for", it is a "know it, just waiting on it". Jesus is hope and that has been proven over and over for me.
15. Our home. It is tiny by some standards, huge by others, but for this Goldilocks it is just right for right now. I don't tend to live my life by a plan, so I am content with that being enough.
16. Our car. It isn't "fancy" but it is paid for, and it gets great gas mileage. And we can afford the tires for it. That is enough to merit gratitude in my book.
17. First world problems. The internet is down, my fancy smart phone is not working, the dishwasher doesn't like my new dish tabs. Cry me a river-and I am talking to myself! I do have "real" problems, but I am thankful when I sit back and realize that I can take these minor inconveniences as an opportunity to remind myself that there are many worse things.
18. Health. Over and over this year I have seen those I love struggle with health issues both big and small. I really am thankful that for time being we have good health. If we lose it tomorrow that does not mean we are any less blessed, but for now I am grateful for having it.
19. Our church. We have come through the fire this year and been refined. I have never seen a group of people fight attacks like we have and triumph. It is inspiring and definitely has merited "memory stone" status. And I know God is not through with us yet.
20. Clean water. This is something I truly do *not* take for granted. I don't have any moving stories to share, but the Lord has impressed on me that this is something to be thankful for, as it is a privilege denied to many.
21. Freedom. It may sound trite, but it isn't. Freedom to homeschool, freedom to worship the Lord, freedom to wear pants. I am thankful for all my freedoms, large and small, and pray that I will not abuse them, but guard them carefully.
22. Prayer. I get to talk to *GOD*. About anything, about everything. That is something so huge I can't really express it in words. My heart is overflowing thinking about it.
23. The Word. And He talks to me. In the most beautiful way. I am so thankful for the Bible and how the Lord has spoken to my heart and changed my life through His written Word.
24. My husband. He really deserves sainthood. I love him more than he knows.
25. My kids. I would have never guessed I would like them so much.
26. My future. It is secure in Christ. And that is all I need to know to know that it is going to be good.
Today was the day for "big ones". What are the things you are the most thankful for?